Free Update and Upgrade iPod Touch to Latest Firmware OS 3.0
Recently, the new firmware OS version 3.0 for iPod Touch and iPhone has been published by Apple. This new firmware 3.0 is one of the major updates because with this OS update, you could now get tons of latest features to your portable iDevices. All original iPhone generations and iPhone 3G are allowed to upgrade firmware to iPhone OS 3.0 at free of cost.
On the other hand, the devices in the category of 1st and iPod Touch 2G of 2nd generation should have to pay $9.95 for upgrading the firmware to OS 3.0. Now, you can skip the payment option as well. Of course, Apple showing an unfair practice towards iPod Touch, even if the devices don’t properly incur any of the recurring charges.
To upgrade and update iPhone and iPod Touch’s old firmware versions to OS 3.0 at absolutely free of cost, just go though the following guide.
- First, you have to download and install iTunes having version 8.2 or higher.
- Now, you have to download following
- Apple Device Software Update IPSW file for iPod Touch 2G OS with firmware version 3.0 iPod2
- iPod Touch 1G OS firmware 3.0 or 1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw Apple Device Software Update IPSW file iPod1
- 1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw by using direct download links for iPhone OS 3.0 software update.
Note: If you download the file having ZIP extension such as iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.zip, then you have to rename this .zip file to .ipsw file format. If the downloaded file is affixed with .zip file format such as iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw.zip, you have to remove the .zip extension from the filename.
While downloading iPod Touch firmware if you deal with any sort of error massage such as “an error occurred while processing your request”, then you should download the IPSW files using the following links.
Link for 1st generation iPod Touch Here
Link for 2nd generation iPod Touch Here
- Now, connect your iPod Touch device to computer.
- Execute the file iTunes 8.2 or higher.
- Choose the iPod Touch device from the list of devices.
- Backup of your iPod Touch in case of any accidental file lost. This step is optional yet important.
- Probably there are two ways with which you could update you iPod to firmware OS 3.0. If you want to install a firmware suit on iPod Touch without keeping any existing data file and songs, movies, videos, music, apps and other media files on iPod Touch, then follow steps given below:
- If you are Windows user, you have to hold Shift key and left click on Restore.
- For users of Mac OS X system, just hold Option button and then left click on Restore.
- If you would like to retain and save all your data as it is in your iPod Touch and want to upgrade your device without losing a single file, go through following steps:
- When you go to main screen of iTunes, you’ll see 2 options as “Check for update” and “Restore”. Just click on “Check for update” option.
- A webpage will be displayed with features of iPod Touch OS with firmware version 3.0. There will be an option where you can buy it for $9.99. You simply click on “Cancel”.
- iTunes will be back with the previous main page iPod Touch. You’ll see now that the “Check for update” option has been changed “Update” option.
- Windows users have to hold Shift key and then left click Update.
- Mac OS X system users have to press and hold the Option key, left click on Update.
- Browse to the downloaded file for iPod Touch OS 3.0 Apple Device Software Update IPSW and select it.
- Once selected the file, the process of upgrade will be started. Your iPod Touch may be restarted for few times. You have to keep connected your iPod Touch device to computer until updating process gets finished.
- When completed the upgrading, your iPod Touch will be successfully running on OS firmware 3.0 without spending a cent.
- Optionally, if you would like to restore iPod Tunes to firmware OS software of version 3.0 to default, you will be provided an option by iTunes where you could select to either restore it from backup or create a new iPod.