Creating a Customized Filter in Your Hotmail Account
This article is specially written for those of you who still use Hotmail – and love it. Although it seems as if the entire world has shifted to Gmail, the die-hard Hotmail users will still support its convenience and robustness. And now that Hotmail is jazzed up with a new look and design – it becomes even more pertinent to dish out a few Hotmail tips-and-tricks. Read on to know how to create a customized email filter that will automatically direct your incoming messages in to a pre-specified folder of your choice.
- At the outset, you have two options – you can either create the new folder (to which you want to direct the filtered emails to) or you can create the folder during the filter creation process. If you go for the first option, you can learn about creating a new folder here.
- The next step is to sign in to your Hotmail account and then go to your Inbox.
- In the Inbox, you will find the Options tab to the top right hand of the messages (right above the vertical ad space). On clicking the Options tab, a dropdown list appears from which you have to click on More Options.
- You are taken to the Options (for email) page, where various settings-related options are listed in different categories. Under the Customize your mail heading, click on the Automatically sort e-mail into folders link.
- Click on the New Filter tab in the next page.
- Now, you are faced with two steps as per Hotmail’s instructions.
- Step 1 involves specifying the nature of incoming messages to be filtered. This is done by specifying the e-mail address/name of sender/subject header/to or CC contents, and the text contents.
- Step 2 involves telling Hotmail where to put the messages that satisfy the criteria of Step 1 – either in the Inbox, or in Junk, or in a New Folder whose name you can provide at that instant.
- Click on Save.