How to fix the Network Error message while trying to upgrade/reinstall iTunes
Many of us have faced the irritating error messages that crop up whenever we are trying to upgrade a software or trying to reinstall it. In this article, we discuss about how this problem can be fixed – taking the typical case of Error 1316 (given below) and in the particular case of trying to upgrade iTunes. The error message typically will look something like this:
Error 1316: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\iTunes.msi
This ‘network error’ occurs due to the fact that there is some kind of internal conflict between a previously installed version and the new version. Although this should not be the case ideally, this is a common occurrence, and has a simple and clear-cut solution.
All you need to do this is download, install and run the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. The steps are outlined below.
- Download the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here.
- Run the msicuu2.exe (the installer for this application) file that is saved on your PC.
- After the installation is complete, run the program from Start -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.
- A window will pop up containing a list of various programs. Select the program that is giving you trouble, and then click on Remove.
- You will get a warning message cautioning you that all of the programs contents will be deleted – click on OK to proceed.
- Restart your PC.
- Install the newer version.
In the specific case of iTunes, it is best advised to select both iTunes and QuickTime, along with all other Apple related products that you can see in the programs list in Step 4 above.
After you have done this, you should not face any problem with installing/upgrading your programs in the future.