The initial editions that were released by Microsoft were Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Edition. Windows XP Home Edition is ideal for home based users; however, it cannot be optimized for professional usage. Windows XP Professional Edition with its far advanced features is designed for the convenience of both small scale and large scale businesses and power-uses. There are numerous inbuilt advanced features in the Professional Edition that are either disabled or unavailable in the Home Edition. Some of these features include, Internet Information Service, Remote Desktop, Fax, Roaming, Domain Membership, Service IIS etc. These features undoubtedly make Windows XP Professional Edition apt for professional and business purpose.
Regardless of the advancements of the Professional Edition, users still prefer to buy the Home Edition owing to its affordability. Further, there are provisions to convert your Home Edition system into the advanced Professional Edition. Transforming the edition would not affect either the speed or the performance output of your system. Just follow the below steps to enhance your edition into a more advanced edition.
1. Copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your hard drive.
2. Extract the Boot sector of your Windows XP CD. You can use BBIE to do this.
3. Click START–>RUN–>REGEDIT
4. Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
5. Click FILE–>LOAD HIVE and select the Setupreg.hiv file
6. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Homekey\ControlSet001\Services\setupdd
7. Edit the DEFAULT key and change the following values: (01 to 00) and (02 to 00)
8. Change the name to the value HOMEKEY to anything.
9. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Homekey\ControlSet001\Services\setupdd
10. Edit the DEFAULT key and change the following values: (01 to 00) and (02 to 00)
11. Highlight HOMEKEY and select FILE–>UNLOAD HIVE
12. Burn the data on your hard drive to a CD to make a new Windows XP CD (Be sure to make the CD bootable)