Uninstalling Windows OneCare from your XP PC
Windows OneCare, the all-rounder, super powered antivirus and spyware solution that Windows had launched for its customers ran into a host of problems within a few months of its release and they continued till the end. [For your information, Windows has discontinued this product as of now.] One of the most common problems is that people invariably find it hard to remove/uninstall this heavy-duty software from their systems. Especially in the context of the beta version, even the official blog of Windows OneCare is silent on any tips or advice on how to uninstall this unwieldy package.
Thus, it is only justified that someone shows you how to uninstall Windows OneCare completely from your system. Simply follow the steps outlined below, and you will be fine.
- Log on to your PC using an administrator account.
- Go to Start -> Run, and enter msconfig.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Deselect all options (services) that are linked to the Windows OneCare applications.
- Further, deselect all spyware/malware tackling applications.
- Click on OK.
- Restart your PC.
- Uninstall Windows OneCare
- Go to Start -> Run, and enter services.msc.
- Pick out all the services related to Windows OneCare from the list, and change the Status of these services to either Manual or Disabled one-by-one.
- Restart your PC, and then uninstall Windows OneCare.
One cautionary warning has to be issued before you use either of the above workarounds though. As both of these methods involve making changes to the registry, it is well advised to create a restore point before embarking on these workarounds. You can do this using System Restore, located in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools.
Moreover, once you have uninstalled Windows OneCare, make sure that you have learnt your lesson, and always think twice and get feedback before installing a software on your PC.