HOW TO: Use ClearType to Enhance Screen Fonts in Windows XP
This tip is for Windows XP users. If you are on Windows XP and want to improve the font display quality over traditional forms then you should shift over to ClearType. Readability on color LCD displays, CRT screens and high-quality flat panel displays can be significantly improved.
How to Enable ClearType
To use ClearType for screen fonts:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
2. On the Appearance tab, click Effects.
3. Click to select the Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts check box, and then click ClearType in the list.
You can also enable ClearType:
1. Right click on a blank area of the Desktop and choose Properties
2. Click on the Appearance Tab, click Effects and check the box: “Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts”
3. In the drop down box select “Clear Type”
There is an online ClearType tuner availalbe which turns on and tunes your Windows XP ClearType setting. If in case you experience problems, you also can download desktop version of Windows XP PowerToy, which does the work for you.
The ClearType FAQ answers all the doubts you might have.