The Indian telecom industry is all set to welcome the Mobile Number Portability (MNP). People can now witness various ads related to it. BSNL has gone a step ahead to announce attractive freebies in the form of free talktime, free GPRS, attracting users of other carriers too. This service was released in Rohtak, Haryana on the 25th November, 2010. It was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Communications and IT Mr. Kapil Sibal and Mr. Bhupinder Singh Hooda, honorable Chief Minister of Haryana. Private carriers too are now ready to accept the challenge. Idea Cellular’s recent ads have tried to lure customers through their attractive ads –What an Idea sirji! Get Idea!
BSNL is the first telecom operator to announce MNP. Sources at BSNL say that the MNP port-in charges will be waivered off for all subscribers who switch to BSNL. Coming back to BSNL, in addition to free porting-in operators will be furnishing users with their First Recharge Coupon (FRC), free if port-in is done through BSNL CSC in Haryana. Also port-in customers will be given free Rs.100 worth of talktime in addition to the free usage minutes that come along with FRC. Port-in customers get the benefit of ‘unlimited GPRS’ free of charge for one month.
It is important to know what porting means. Porting is the term used for the method of moving your mobile number from one existing operator to another new one. It also includes changing mobile technology that is in GSM to CDMA and the reverse to the same operator or a new one within licensed Service Area.
To obtain an MNP request at BSNL CSC:-
- To receive the Universal Product Code (UPC) you have to SMS Port to 1900.
- Fill in the MNP form along with the UPC code, and sumbit the application, only then you’ll be allowed to Port-in.
- Provide them with an alternative number so that they can keep in touch with you through out the process. This has to be mentioned on the forms.
- Within 72 – 96 hours, your number will be activated and you can can use the new Sim card that will be provided to you once your application has been activated. To activate BSNL services you have to dial 123.
- However, there will be a lag period of around 2 hours, during which none of the services will be available to you.
In order to obtain MNP it is important to note that:-
- You have no pending bills prior to the date of application for porting.
- The porting request has to be made after the expiry period of 90 days from the date of activation of a new connection or from last porting.
- No request for change of ownership of the mobile number while the application is under process.
- The mobile number sought to be ported is not sub-judice.
- Porting of the number has not been prohibited by any court of law.
- The unique porting code mentioned in the porting request matches with the unique porting code allocated by the Donor Operator for the mobile number sought to be ported.
- The subscriber has not compiled with the exit clause for the present connection.