The shortcut virus is a well known virus that most pendrives get affected with one time or the other. Due to this, all the files and folders get changed into shortcut files. The original ones get hidden. If your pendrive has this virus, it will also affect the program files in the computer. Learn how to remove shortcut virus from pendrive.
A file called ‘Autorun.inf’ is the most common virus that is found in pendrives. This can spread rapidly via memory cards, pendrives, the internet and bluetooth connections. Here are 3 methods to solve this issue.
How to Remove Shortcut Virus from Pendrive
- Remove virus using Command Prompt.
- This is one of the successful methods to remove the virus.
- Go to start>run>cmd
- Go to the infected location
- Type: F:*.* /d /s -h -r -s
- Replace F with the infected drive’s name. Press enter.
- Using Antivirus
- Install any antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for Windows PC. This is another surefire method to remove the virus.
- Using Virus remover software
- There is a dedicated software that can eliminate the virus on the go. This is another handy tool and will automatically remove all shortcut files and folders. It will also restore the original files and folders. This is the quickest and easiest way to get yourself rid of this virus. Download it here.
So that’s that! That is the way to remove this annoying virus. In the future, take precautions to make sure you will not get the virus again.
- Disable autorun.
- Scan for virus before using portable drives, pendrives etc.
- Be careful about using portable media in public PCs.
- Keep your antivirus software up to date.
- Do not access/download anything from harmful/ suspicious websites.