Simple Procedure To Recover Or Reset Your Password In Gmail
Gmail users might have several different reasons for resetting the password which is required to sign in to the Gmail account through IMAP, web or POP3. While some might need to reset/change the password for security reasons, others might be looking to reset or recover the password as they have forgotten it and are unable to sign in to the account.
However, changing or resetting the Gmail password will change/ reset the password for associated Google account as well. Just follow the below mentioned steps to change/reset your password for Gmail as well as the corresponding Google Account.
- Go to Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer and type in https://mail.google.com into the address bar and press “Enter” to open the login page for Gmail.
- Below the button “Sing in”, there is a link that you need to click on if you can’t access your account. Click on the link.
- In the new window that opens, you need to either click on the radio button corresponding to the option that indicates that you have forgotten your password or click on the link for password recovery page.
- You will be prompted for entering username. Input the username of your Gmail/ Google account within the text field provided.
- Next, input the captcha letters by looking at the image shown.
- If you have not logged in to your Gmail account since the last 24 hours, you will be presented with a secret question that is set into the Google Account. You need to answer the question correctly in order to reset or recover your password.
Incase you are not able to answer the security question that you had entered at the time of registration and you have configured a secondary email ID, you will see a link displayed on the page that shows the results for the secret question.
The moment you click on that link, a message for resetting password will be emailed on your secondary email ID. You need to just open your secondary email and follow the link given to reset/ change your password.
Incase you have logged in to your Gmail account within the last 24 hours, the message for resetting password will be sent to your secondary email ID immediately, skipping the secret question step.
If you have not configured any secondary email ID during registration or if you are no longer able to access you secondary email account, you may repeat the above mentioned procedure again after 5 days.
Now that you are trying to access your Gmail account after 5 days, you will be presented with the secret or security question. Simply answer the question correctly and go ahead to reset or recover your password.
If you can’t remember the answer or after checking your secondary email ID if you notice that you have not received the email message for resetting password in your mailbox, you need to contact Google Help for further assistance.