Stop Displaying ‘Use the Web Service to Find the Correct Program’ Option in Windows Vista
In Windows OS when you open a file of unknown extension, you will most probably see the additional pop up window. You can select two options from this pop up window, either to use web service and find the correct program to open the file, or use the list of installed programs to choose the correct one.
Most of the time, you will be confused when you probably know the program that should be used. Thus, you can simply use the registry hack to avoid this additional window. Using the hack, you can skip the option of searching the correct program via web service. Instead of this option, you will be shown only pop up window of “open with”.
To avoid the additional window follow the steps given below.
- Open registry editor. (To open registry editor, just type “regedit” in the search box.)
- Go to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
- If you will not get any Explorer key, then right click on “Policies”. Select new and then Key. Rename the key as “Explorer”.
- Now, you have to right click on the Explorer key. Select New then 32-bit DWORD32-bit DWORD. Name it as “NoInternetOpenWith”.
- Double click on “NoInternetOpenWith” and put the value 1 there.
- Finally, restart the computer to make the setting effective.
When finishes the hack, open the file which has an unknown extension. You will not see additional window anymore from now. If you want an additional pop up window as it was before, you should change the value to 0.