What is it?
Back in 2001 the first release of CamStudio was let loose upon the internet. It is a fabulous open source software that is not only free, but it is updated and also maintains a support form on their websites for users having problems. It is written in C++ however the newest version will be written in C# (a language that has a lot of similarities but it is cleaner and more efficient).
It was developed by seven people and you can find more information about the developers and learn more about the program at their website: camstudio.org
What is it used for?
CamStudio is a simple program that allows you to record your computer screen, or a selected portion of your computer screen, and it also gives you the option to record sound from a microphone. This makes it incredibly easy to do online tutorials while giving directions, or just explain anything and then upload that or send the video file anywhere you want.
There are thousands and thousands of users, many of which use this for program demonstrations and you can find most of those up on YouTube.
Where can you get it?
As was mentioned earlier the program is free and you can go to their website for more information, however if you want the direct download link.
Here are the download links:
CamStudio 2.0 http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/latest/download?source=files
CamStudio 2.6 Beta http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/latest/download?source=files
What common problems are there?
This program is for Microsoft Windows and you can encounter a variety of issues with it.
- File size – This program only allows you to record 2GB max file size. If you accidentally go over that then you will not be able to find your file and will have to rerecord, so make sure to split up the files if necessary or shorten the recording.
- Sound issues – Sound recording/playback is the biggest issue with this program. Often times your computer will have a mind of its own and turn off your microphone so check that first and ensure that when you speak into it that it is acknowledging there is sound. Next, if you still are not getting any sound from your recordings try going to CamStudio and resetting your settings, they may have become corrupted and generally this will do the trick. If all else fails redownload the program and the sound should work properly after that.
- Messed up recordings – Sometimes users will use CamStudio a few times then it will randomly stop working as well as it used to. This phenomenon is probably caused by altered settings or corrupted settings, simply reset them to original settings and it should work properly after that.
If you experience too many problems with CamStudio, or simply want to look at other programs that will record your computer screen then you can check out these FREE alternatives here.
- For Mac users: http://danicsoft.com/software/copernicus/
- RecordMyDesktop: http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php
- Jing: http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
Read our previous post on Camtasia Alternative.