Windows Vista – Adding Desired Folders as Default Locations under “Favorite Links” Section In Save As Window
In all Windows Operating Systems, anytime you try to save a file, you will be prompted with a “Save As” window in which you can name the file as well as select the file type and the location for saving it. In Windows Vista, you will find standard locations like Computer, Picture, Desktop, etc. listed under the section “Favorite Links” for user convenience.
However, if you wish to add and display the folders/ locations of your choice under the section “Favorite Links” in your “Save As” window, you may do so by following the below mentioned procedure.
- Go to Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder “Links” which you will normally find at the location “C:\Users\[user name]\Links”(user name in this path is your computer’s user name).
- Within the right window pane, right-click on any empty space and select “New”. From the “New” submenu that appears, select “Shortcut”.
- Now click on the button “Browse” to choose the path of a preferred folder that you want to display under “Favorite Links” and then click on “Next” button.
- Give a name to the shortcut and click on the button “Finish” so as to complete the process of shortcut creation.
Now, save any document by using the “Save As” option. You need to select the option “Browse Folders” placed at the bottom-left corner of Save As window. You will notice that the folder which you had selected in the above procedure has been added as a default location under ““Favorite Links”.
Setting YouTube To Play High-Quality Videos By Default
YouTube has officially started delivering video clips in stereo audio mode and HD (High Definition) resolution for presenting a better viewing experience to the viewers. Now, viewers do not have to use &fmt=6 or &fmt=18 switch trick anymore to view high resolution videos on YouTube.
YouTube now has a link for users to view a supported video clip in high definition resolution. The link for watching high quality video appears beneath the video’s view count if high resolution display is supported.
If you are presently viewing the video clip in high definition, a link for viewing the video in standard quality will be displayed. This helps the user to easily toggle between standard quality and high quality video as sometimes streaming a video in higher definition might not go smoothly and the video might stop in between for buffering.
However, if you are a YouTube account holder, have a speedy internet connection and wish to watch all YouTube video clips in high definition mode always, you are now able to do so. YouTube has an option within the user account settings which allows you to set high quality as a default for video playback.
The video playback resolution by default is set as normal, which basically means lower quality. To make the changes in the video playback settings and set YouTube to play videos in high quality always (wherever available and supported), you need to follow the below mentioned steps:
- Open the Account page on YouTube.
- Under the section “Account”, click on the link “Video Playback Quality”.
- Choose the radio button corresponding to the option which confirms that you have a fast internet connection and asks YouTube to play videos in high quality whenever available.
- Click on the button “Save Setting”. This will make the changes effective immediately.
- If you wish to revert back your selection, you can select the option for choosing the video quality dynamically depending on the connection speed. Alternatively, you may also choose the option for confirming that you have a slow internet connection and asking YouTube not to play videos in high quality.
Changing File Saving Default Format From Docx Into Doc In Word Document 2007
Word 2007 has introduced a new default format of file i.e. Docx. It is a format in which it will be saved and it is supported by XML and uses the ZIP compression in order to reduce overall size of file. However, you may don’t want to save the file under docx format, as many people are using Office 2000/2003/XP and Microsoft Office Compatibility may not be installed. So the new format of file is not fully compatible to the existing word versions. In order to change the .docx file format follow these steps:
First click Office button, which is located on left corner in word 2007 at the top. Secondly, on the menu, you should click Word Options as located at the bottom. Then click save as option as shown on the left panel. Then you should choose “Word97-2003 Document i.e. (*.doc). Then click ok button in order to save that setting.
These simple steps if followed properly will give you file format .doc instead of .docx. I have given some effort for trying to locate these options in its totally new interface, e in order to get more fruitful regular piece of works.
Change Default View Source Editor From Notepad To Other Text Editors In IE
When you click on “View Source” tab in the Internet Explorer, the source will be released by means of notepad as default viewer. However, we all know hat the Notepad is not an excellent viewer or editor since it displays only the simple text. If you want to modify the default text editor instead of notepad to some other new text editor like Microsoft FrontPage, now you can get it done easily using the following way.
Following are the couple of ways, and by using either of them, you can modify the IE default viewer to view source:
1. Changing the default viewer by means of View Source Editor
- Go to the website http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/ and download the file named as “View Source Editor”
- Just open and run the application file. You will be prompted with a pop up window, it shows your existing default viewer
- Alter the default viewer via browsing to some other advanced viewer selection. You can run the .exe application directly at any time you want
2. Modification of the registry key
- Click Start open Run, and then type regedit.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer
- Generate a sub key as “View Source Editor” below the Internet Explorer
- Make a sub key, named as “Editor” and name it below View Source Editor
- Modify Default value of the Editor Name to D:\Tools\Notepad2\abc.exe (abc is an exemplar of viewer name).
On the other hand, you can generate the file of the registry key and perform it to make the sub keys as stated over. In a notepad, you need to copy and paste the codes that are given below and save the file as default_viewer.reg.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]
To execute the process, just double click on the default_viewer.reg file.
Change The Default Open Folder At The Startup Of Outlook
Usually the Inbox folder will be displayed at the time when you start on Outlook. You can manage and the high priority and essential emails below dissimilar folders and you have a desire for view them quickly.
If you already have the rules set up for receiving your important emails on any particular folder, and if you desire to have that folder open first whenever you run the Microsoft outlook, please follow the below mention steps to change according to your preference.
- Click Tools and then go to Options tab
- Then go to the tab ‘Other’ and hit the button Advanced Options
- Next, click Browse button under General settings tab. You can select now the folder you would like it to be shown while Outlook starts. Don’t forget to click OK and save the entire setting.
- Close Advance Options window by clicking on OK.
- Click OK button and close the Options window.
Now when close and restart Outlook then you will see that the shown folder has been altered to the preferred folder that you choose going on above steps.
Keyboard-Tweaker Tool Alternative To Multimedia Keyboards
Keyboard Tweaker can be utilized by an individual who is hooked to few programmes on the system. A person who uses it everyday can actually assign a set of hotkeys on the key board to launch those programs. Keyboard tweaker is a tool which can be used to assign hot-keys on keyboard to make program processing faster.
Allotting hot-keys to programs on your system by selecting respective hot-keys on keyboard will permit you to commence programs instantly. This will makes your program processing time faster. It is a Freeware and simpler to load on system. By default few keyboard shortcuts or predefined hotkeys are already available in it.
Either one can add a new list of hotkeys to respective programs or can utilize the present keys. By default a set of few hotkeys for windows programmes contains keys such as “volume control”, “regedit”, etc. One can utilize several combinations on keyboard such as Shift, Ctrl, Alt, and any other alpha numeric characters to customize hotkeys.
After assigning hot-keys one can also pre-view the changes made by selecting the test-option before saving the settings. It also contains a set of features to alter letter size, display, font, etc. Keyboard-tweaker works like a substitute to Multimedia-Keyboards. Now, using keyboards any applications or programs can be executed using this tool on your PC’s.
How to Set Computer or Document Folder as Default Instead of Libraries with Windows Explorer on Windows 7
The latest version of Windows Operating System has many features that make your working easier. However few users find some features useless for them because they require something different, such as when you open windows explorer on windows 7 it will open a library folder which contains documents, music, videos and other files. This feature is useful for those users who have multiple categorized data and files.
Since library folder categorizes and compiles all related folders into one folder, it is the best way to store your important files. However some users prefer documents folders to be opened when they click on Windows Explorer option on windows 7.
In order to set Windows Explorer to open “Documents” folder instead of libraries you need to apply this trick. This trick will set Windows Explorer to open Documents folder as default.
- In Windows 7 navigate to Start Menu> Windows Explorer and click on Properties option (located in task bar tray area or stored in All Programs> Accessories). You can also navigate to properties option directly from the task bar Windows Explorer icon. You just press Shift key, and right click on Windows Explorer icon and select Properties option.
- Now change the value of opened Target text box under Shortcut tab. You can choose either to open Documents or Computer by default.
To set Documents as default by Windows Explorer:
To set Computer as default by Windows Explorer:
3. Click OK when you finished.