Reduce Firefox Tab Width to the Size of Its Favicon
Mozilla Firefox allows users to open multiple tabs in a single Firefox window eliminating a need for opening multiple windows and constantly switching between them. Firefox tabs have a fixed tab width which seems to be excessively long and the whole space gets occupied the moment you open about six tabs in a Firefox window.
However, it is possible that you change the tab width to make it equal to the size of its favicon. For doing so, you need to use a Firefox plugin known as “FaviconizeTab”. Simply follow the below mentioned procedure to install FaviconizeTab and enable it to resize the Firefox tab width.
- You need for download FaviconizeTab and install it on your PC.
- Restart the Firefox browser to make the plugin active.
- Once you restart/ reopen Firefox, you will notice installed extensions listed within add-ons pop-up window that appears. If you do not see any add-ons pop-up window, you need to go to Tools menu and select “Add-ons” to open the add-ons window. Locate “FaviconizeTab” and click on the button “Options”.
- In the Preference Window of FaviconizeTab, under the section “Quick Faviconize”, set the method for activating FaviconizeTab feature. The options include Alt + Click, Ctrl + Click, Shift + Click and Double Click.
For instance, select “Double-click”, if you wish to activate the FaviconizeTab feature by double-clicking on the tab.
- Now, to check if the settings are working, open a new Firefox tab and just double-click on it. The tab width will reduce to its favicon size.
Not Happy With Google’s New Favicon? Revert Back To The Old One
Google has changed its favorite icon (favicon.ico), which normally appears on the tab of the web browser while the user browses the Google website. A favicon basically functions as the website’s identity and also appears on the Address Bar and in Bookmarks (Incase of Mozilla Firefox) or in “Favorites” (Incase of Internet Explorer).
The new favicon of Google is an image file of 16×16 pixel, which is the standard size of most favicons. It has the text “g” in lower-case in bluish-purple color set inside a transparent rectangle with rounded corners. You can download this new Google favicon from the link http://www.google.com/favicon.ico.
The old favicon of Google had the text “G” in upper-case in blue color set inside a rectangle bordered having red, green and blue color.
Many users are not really impressed with the design and style of the Google’s new favicon. If you happen to be one of those who prefer the old favicon to the new one, you can follow the below mentioned trick to get back the old favicon.
- Download Mozilla Firefox and install it.
- Install the Greasemonkey extension in Firefox.
- Now install the script for Google’s Old Favicon from userscripts.org. Once the installation process is over, Firefox will display Google’s Old favicon instead of the new one.
You need to note that, this trick will change Google favicon only for on-screen web page display. If you wish to change the Google’s new favicon to the classic old one in Firefox Bookmark list as well, you can do so by installing Favicon Picker 2 (For Firefox 2 only) and setting the Google bookmark icon of your choice.
Simple Technique To Display A Favicon For Your Blog
Favicon or Favorites icon is a tiny, 16X16 or 32X32 pixel icon that is associated with a website, webpage or a blog. This icon is basically displayed next to the URL of the website or blog. Favicons generally exhibit the theme of a website/ blog and are used by webmasters and bloggers to give a unique value to their website/ blog.
Favicon serves as a logo of a website/ blog as visitors start recognizing a website/ blog from the Favicon that it displays. For instance, the moment we see “Y!” and “g”, we instantly understand that the webpage belongs to Yahoo! and Google respectively. Displaying a Favicon for your blog or website is indeed a good step in order to help visitors recognize your website/ blog easily.
Favicons may have different file formats such as GIF, JPG, PNG etc. and before you can add them to your blog or website you need to change its format to .ICO. It is interesting to note that Favicons do not need to necessarily be static, but you may also make them animated.
Follow the below mentioned procedure in order to add or display a Favicon for your blog.
- First and Foremost, you have to create a Favicon. You may do it with the help of online favicon generators such as Favicon.cc, Dynamic Drive, HTML Kit, Degraeve and Anti Favicon.
- You need to now add this Favicon to any image sharing website like Imageshack, Photobucket etc. and obtain the link to that uploaded favicon.
- Login to your blog, go to “Layout” and click on “Edit HTML”. You need to search for “<head>”. Once found, paste the below mentioned code underneath “<head>”
<link href=’IMAGE URL’ rel=’shortcut icon’ type=’image/vnd.microsoft.icon’/>
You need to replace the text “IMAGE URL” in the above code with the correct link to the uploaded favicon.
- Finally, save the template.
After you have finished the procedure, you will notice that the new favicon appears on your blog. If you wish to display an animated Favicon, you have to create one by going to HTML Kit.
If you want your blog to be better recognized, then chose a Favicon icon. It is in fact a great way to introduce your blog to the visitors, and thereby making a trade mark of your own for your blog. Let us briefly go through the process of creating Favicon icons and utilizing them on your wordpress blog.
How Can I Generate FAVICON in wordpress Panel:
Your first task here will be to design an apt image file and change it to Favicon.ico file. For this you have to use the free online JPG to ICO converter. After this is done, upload it to your wordpress root directory through ftp client namely filezilla.
Further, add a Favicon into your blog. From the wordpress admin panel section, transfer these to your theme files and paste the provided code into header.php file. See to it that the uploaded Favicon is termed as favicon.ico.
How About Using The Free WordPress Favicon Generator?
There is another way to add favicon to wordpress and that is by using wordpress plugin. This favicon generator has turned out to be a great source to create favicons mainly for wordpress blogs. Download it and activate it to choose the favicon file of your choice, from the given ico files. You are even free to upload your favicon file, ad use them as wordpress favicon files, without any prior study of coding. You can see it is more useful if you are not familiar with the wordpress or are constantly replacing your favicon files.