Import Emails From Your Hotmail, Yahoo, MSN, AOL Accounts To Gmail
For people who wish to switch over to Gmail from their current email service provider, Gmail offers a new feature using which they can easily import all the mails from their previous account to Gmail. As per an announcement posted on Gmail’s blog, this feature will allow users to import all old mails to Gmail with 30 days of auto-email forward facility to the previous email account.
Currently, this Gmail feature supports email imports from sites like MSN, AOL, Hotmail, Comcast, Netscape, Yahoo, Live.com etc. You may simply go to Gmail Help for the list of email service providers that are supported by this feature. The mails imported to Gmail can also be labeled for instant identification.
Method to transfer or import emails to Gmail.
- Login to your new Gmail account.
- Go to Settings and click on the tab “Accounts and Import”. Clock on the button “Import mail & contacts”.
- Input the login details of your previous email address from which you wish to transfer or import the emails.
- Choose from the below mentioned options.
- Import mail
- Import contacts
- Add label to all imported mail
- Import new mail for next thirty days.
It is recommended that you choose all four options.
- Click on the button “Start Import” to start the process of importing emails and contacts from your previous email service provider to Gmail.
- It will take around 48 hours for the entire transfer/ import process. You may check the status of the import process by going to the tab “Accounts and Import”.
However, you need not worry if you are unable to find the tab “Accounts and Import” under “Settings” in your Gmail account as Gmail is in a process of rolling out this new feature to old/ existing accounts and you will soon get it in your account as well.
Importing events from iCal to Google Calendar
If you are using iCal and now want to share your calendar events with a select group of friends/colleagues – one option that crops into mind is to use Google Calendar. However, in order to do this, you will have to export all data from your iCal calendar to your Google Calendar. This article outlines the simple steps that are involved in this process.
Step 1: Export all data from your iCal Calendar
- Open iCal.
- Navigate to File -> Export.
- You will be prompted to provide a file name and specify the location where you want to save the exported file. Enter these and Click on Export.
That was easy! Now all you have to do this is import this data into Google Calendar. This is dependent on the fact that Google Calendar recognizes the format that iCal has exported in – fortunately, the developers at both ends had foreseen such circumstances and have ensured that there is perfect compatibility between the two. So now move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Import the calendar evens in to Google Calendar.
- Sign in to your Google account and go to Google Calendar.
- In the new Google Calendar, when you sign in, on the left navigation panel, you find that there is the heading Other Calendars. Click on the Add button just below this heading, and then select Import.
- A pop-up asks you to select the file from which you have to import the calendar. Click on Choose File to browse your hard drive and select the file you had exported in Step 1.
- Select the calendar you want to import this data in to. [This applies when you are managing multiple calendars on Google.]
- Click on Import.
- After this, wait while Google loads all the data in to the calendar.
Today I noticed that, Google Chrome was not detecting Opera 9.63 and hence was not able to import the bookmarks.
Here’s how you can import bookmarks from Opera to Google Chrome :
1> Open Opera, go to File menu and select “import/export”.
2> Find a way to export the bookmark as a .html file. While importing ensure you rename ‘bookmarks.htm’ as ‘bookmarks.html’.
3> Open Bookmark Manager in Google Chrome: Tools –> Import and import the ‘bookmarks.html’ file that you have exported from Opera.