Simple Tips To Restore The Vista/ XP Style Taskbar In Windows 7
Microsoft has completely modified and reformed the Taskbar in Windows 7 wherein the window buttons of running applications which are displayed on the taskbar have been changed to icons.
You can directly pin programs or shortcuts to the Taskbar which eliminates the need to use Quick Launch bar.
Windows 7 Taskbar also features Jump Lists and Aero Peek which offers a superior thumbnail preview. However, there are a few users who prefer labeled buttons on the Taskbar rather then just icons. If you are one of them, here’s the way you can get back your button style Taskbar.
Microsoft has an option that allows you to revert back to the Windows XP/ Vista Taskbar Style which displays labeled button bars of running applications and not just the program icons. Follow the below mentioned steps.
- Right-click on any blank space over the Taskbar and from the right-click context menu that appears, select the option “Properties”.
- A dialog box will be displayed with the title “Taskbar & Start Menu Properties”. From the drop-down list corresponding to the option “Taskbar buttons”, choose to combine whenever the Taskbar is full or else to never combine.
- Click on the “OK” button to finish.
Once you have done this setting, Windows 7 Taskbar will be changed to the button style Taskbar which will show labeled button bars of running applications.
The pinned programs or shortcuts which are not running will be still displayed as icons. This feature in windows 7 Taskbar is quite handy as it helps you differentiate between non-running pinned programs and running applications.
If you wish to make your Windows 7 Taskbar exactly identical to that of Windows XP/ Vista, you may simply unpin the programs or shortcuts from the Taskbar and add them to Quick Launch bar.
Disable Quick Launch Bar Permanently And Enable Superbar In Windows 7
If you have disabled a Quick Launch bar in Win7 pre-beta build version 6801 M3 OS and using a new Superbar feature, a peculiar problem will occur. The default classic Quick Launch bar will appear again and again or it will be re-enabled automatically when you restart your PC, even if you disable it each time.
Actually, Quick Launch Bar gets merged and integrated along with the buttons on taskbar to build the new Superbar. However, the Quick Launch Bar still continues to appear even after unlocking all the secret features.
Now, here is a simple trick to disable Quick Launch Bar permanently. To do so, you have to set a policy via Local Group Policy Editor by using the following steps.
- First of all, go to Start and open Search Box window.
- Type “gpedit.msc” (without quotes) and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys all together. A Group Policy Editor will be opened with administrator rights.
- Then go to User Configuration and then Administrative Templates then Start Menu and Taskbar tree branch.
- On the right window, you should be able to see the option, Show QuickLaunch on Taskbar
- Double click on it and set its value to Disabled.
- Click OK button to save the changes.
- Finally, restart your PC.
Reduce Size Of Icons On Windows 7 Superbar (New Taskbar)
// Windows 7 is integrated with a new taskbar named as Superbar or Awesome Bar. The Superbar has totally new appearance. Actually, an old, classic Quick Launch bar and an ordinary Taskbar buttons are together merged and integrated to create a new improved Taskbar. This new improved taskbar is known Superbar or Awesome Bar. Contrary to the appearance of Quick Launch, a Superbar is also introduced with icons by replacing the classic buttons.
On the other hand, most of us are uncomfortable with the size of icons on Superbar. The size of the icons in Superbar is too large so that it acquires pretty much screen area which is a little bit inconvenient.
There is small trick which will definitely help you to reduce the size of the icons on Superbars. To do so, just follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, right click in an empty space on Taskbar and select Properties
- Go to the “Task Bar and Start Menu Properties” dialog box
- After that go to the “Taskbar” tab. Now you have to check the checkbox named as “Use small icons”.
Done, now you will notice the reduced size of the icons on Superbar.