Upgrading Computer BIOS
The complete name of BIOS is “Basic Input-Output System”, which is a computer program that is found in the ROM memory within the motherboard. The major task of BIOS is to supply the information, which is necessary for the hardware compatibility with the computer. It consists the programming, which help the computer to boot. The BIOS does not have the capability of physical functioning, although, you are able to “Flash” BIOS if you feel it’s necessary.
Flashing the BIOS of PC could be dangerous, in case you are not cautious. There are chances of BIOS corruption if while updating power outage happens even for couple of seconds. In such circumstances, the only solution is to change your BIOS chip or even motherboard. When you prepare for upgrading BIOS, it is recommended to have UPS with the backup of at least 10 minutes as a preventive measure.
- One of the common purposes of upgrading BIOS is to make Windows XP compatible with recent adware for resolving a system obstacle. Undoubtedly, BIOS upgrading could boost up the system performance and might allow you to utilize few computer hardware. However, it does not ensure solution for all system problems.
- Next question that arises is how to find the appropriate update for your BIOS. If you are aware of the manufacturer of your desktop or Laptop such as DELL, HP, LENOVO then you can find the BIOS update from their website. For the self-assembled computers you will have to go to the website of motherboard manufacturer.
- Next step pertains to the model no. of the motherboard or computer, for this you should note down the model no. of the motherboard or your computer to find out the appropriate update. You can find the motherboard model number from the memory test. You will have to put this model number in search box for update.
- After downloading the upgrade, copy it on bootable CD or floppy. Now read the READ ME file instructions to install updates. Before proceeding further, take the back up of your OLD BIOS on CD.
- BIOS manufacturers have numerous instructions for installing the update. The most popular is boot with the floppy or CD drive. Insert CD restart you PC and follow the instructions, after installation remove the disk.
Upgradation of BIOS is a very effective way to make your Windows compatible with the new amendments, and for resolving the hardware problems. We recommend you to upgrade your BIOS frequently with the proper care.